Tzimmes with chicken meatballs
The tzimmes recipe with meatballs will be the first recipe from the book «Odessa feast: from Privoz to Deribasovskaya», which I will share in a blog. The full version is traditionally in the book, the preparation for printing of which is at full speed.
For 4 servings
300 grams of boneless chicken;
150 g of onions;
50 g of carrots;
20 grams of garlic;
3 egg yolks;
50 g of white stale bun;
100 ml of milk;
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
50 g of cilantro;
100 ml of vegetable oil for frying.
70 ml of olive oil;
20 g of garlic;
40 g of candied ginger;
800 g of young carrots;
1 stick of cinnamon;
10 g of nutmeg;
70 g of acacia honey;
70 g of light seedless raisins;
250 ml of chicken broth;
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook the meatballs first.
- Onions cut into slices, rub carrots on the smallest grater and press the garlic through the garlic press.
- Finely chop cilantro green.
- Soak the bun in the milk and squeeze it.
- For cooking meatballs, mince chicken meat along with the rest of the ingredients, add yolks and spices. All knead until smooth stuffing.
- Make meatballs with a diameter of 2.5-3 centimeters.
- Tzimmes cooking. Warm up olive oil in the cauldron and throw chopped into thin slices garlic and candied ginger into it. After 5 minutes of browning, add washed and peeled carrots, sliced and cinnamon sticks and braise 5-10 minutes, until the carrots begin to roast.
- Add chicken broth, honey, nutmeg, raisins, salt and black pepper. Stew for 10 minutes under the not tightly closed lid. A third part of the broth should evaporate.
- Meatballs fry in vegetable oil on all sides for several minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the tzimmes and simmer together for another 10 minutes until the broth is completely boiled away.
- Quickly serve an elegant dish to the table with dry white wine.